A wrongful death case refers to a civil suit for financial damages.This type of case is very different from criminal charges that a prosecutor or district attorney may file against the defendant. When someone dies because of another person, the survivors might file a wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful death lawsuits seek compensation for damages. This refers to compensation for the survivors’ loss, such as lost wages from the deceased, lost companionship, and funeral expenses.
This article guides you on when to consult a lawyer for wrongful death a case.
Some examples of a wrongful death case
Such cases are listed below –
- Vehicle Accidents: Accidents among vehicles on-road or off-road fall under this category.
- Premise Liability Accidents: Accidents caused on the property of a designated owner due to present hazards are considered to fall under this category.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Casualties: When pedestrians or people riding bicycles suffer injuries from other vehicles or objects.
- Medical Malpractices: Injuries due to errors caused by the mistake of medical practitioners fall in this category.
The list can contain many other accidents, but this is supposed to give you a basic idea of when to consult a lawyer for wrongful death in a case. Some more causes have been listed below for reference.
- Workplace Accidents and Illnesses: Fatal illnesses or injuries caused at the workplace can be used to claim wrongful death claims in a lawsuit by the victim’s family and kin.
- Accidental Overdose or Poisoning: These cases can occur with improper handling of food and medicines.
- Boating and Drowning Incidents: When proper safety measures are not followed, or a person cannot swim, such cases can occur.
Wrongful death cases are just as tragic as any other case, but since most of them are accidents, one must exercise more caution even in our daily life to prevent such happenings as there can be no damages compared to the life of a loved one.